[WikiEN-l] Fromowner

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Wed Sep 5 16:43:05 UTC 2007

> On 05/09/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:

> > In fact, we should be able to announce the opportunity and then pick
> > from several competitors - not every day that a graphic designer gets to
> > do a makeover for one of the world's best-known websites.

> We tried it. Given the response if I didn't know better I'd say you
> remarks were calculated to be undiplomatic.

Lots of people do customised MediaWiki skins - we could easily pick a
replacement for Monobook from almost anywhere.

As for the joys of graphic design competitions around Wikimedia, I
commend to you the following page, which explains in pictures why
graphic designers are paid money:

   http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/International_logos_%28overview%29

Mind you, we did get three really good ones (the puzzle globe, the
Wikimedia logo and the Mediawiki logo) out of it. But hoo boy.

- d.