[WikiEN-l] Who's moderated?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Tue Sep 4 07:57:17 UTC 2007

Mark Ryan wrote:
> In short, here are my responses to your three things there:
>
> 1. You are not going to see such a list, because it is very long,
> consists of private information and is almost entirely made up of
> people automatically moderated upon subscription. If we had wanted to
> make the list of subscribers to the mailing list public, we would have
> enabled that option in the mailing list settings.

The majority of which you speak is probably not interesting anyway.  It
is only with the minority that there is likely to be any interest in this.
> 3. Generally the only things which get moderated (i.e. not allowed
> through to the mailing list) from moderated users is personal
> attacks/incivility/unintelligible spam/repetition which has exhausted
> the patience of subscribers to the point of them asking for the person
> to be moderated.

Patience levels vary.  I know that I can just delete something I don't
like.  Occasionally a piece of spam gets through.  Although there are
list members who will complain loudly on these occasions, but I see that
as no big deal.
> If you feel that you would do a better job as one of the list
> administrators than the current ones, then I encourage you to ask the
> mailing list/Wikipedia community for support in such an effort. I'm
> not sure I like your chances, though, because what you are proposing
> would annoy the hell out of a lot of subscribers.
I would have no problem with the list being privately sent to some
members who just want to audit the list, as long as there is confidence
that the person understands the notion of privacy.  I have no doubt that
Marc, because of his usual real-world employment, would have no problem
with respecting privacy.  His actions in this thread have certainly
demonstrated that he is able to separate the general topic, and its
application in individual cases.

Ec