[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sat Oct 27 19:38:01 UTC 2007

Oldak Quill wrote:
> P.S. Just as a point of discussion: the Foundation was created to make
> certain processes easier and to centralise fundraising, &c. Why is a
> non-Foundation decision or initiative somehow less valid than one led
> by the Foundation?
>
> Yes, the Foundation holds the purse strings (and does a very important
> job), but the Foundation has been given too much primacy and authority
> on Wikimedia issues. The Foundation also has a tendency to consolidate
> power and remove community-based decision making processes (e.g. the
> lack of consultation in the latest fundraising drive).
The key word there is "given".  You use a passive verb.  Who did the
giving?  How often do you see someone saying that we should first seek
the authority of the Foundation before taking action.  The tendency to
consolidate power is not new to the Foundation.  Ruling bodies tend to
step in and make decisions when an organization which proclaims
democracy is paralyzed by indecisiveness, and that paralysis would
result in a default decision that nobody wants.  I don't blame the
Foundation in this, but on the community that fails to realize that its
own inability to make decisions defaults to small groups with the
courage to impose their own agendas.  The Foundation is not the only
such group in WP.

Ec