[WikiEN-l] Anonymous page creation will be reenabled on English Wikipedia.

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 15:59:01 UTC 2007

On 27/10/2007, Oldak Quill <oldakquill at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 27/10/2007, Tim Starling <tstarling at wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Gregory Maxwell wrote:
> > > After a one month period, on December 9th, we will re-evaluate this
> > > decision using previously established methods [...]
> >
> > Who is "we"? The Gregory Maxwell committee? Obviously it wasn't a Board
> > decision, if Florence knows nothing about it. And if it was an executive
> > decision, why isn't it being announced by Sue, or one of the staff?
>
> This "experiment" needed to be concluded by someone and it seems that
> the board haven't taken any steps in this direction. Two options when
> it comes to concluding this experiment are declaring it a success and
> making it permanent or declaring it failure and ending the ban. Since
> the motivation for the trial was PR and since the ban has probably
> done more net harm than good, I welcome Gregory Maxwell's initiative.

P.S. Just as a point of discussion: the Foundation was created to make
certain processes easier and to centralise fundraising, &c. Why is a
non-Foundation decision or initiative somehow less valid than one led
by the Foundation?

Yes, the Foundation holds the purse strings (and does a very important
job), but the Foundation has been given too much primacy and authority
on Wikimedia issues. The Foundation also has a tendency to consolidate
power and remove community-based decision making processes (e.g. the
lack of consultation in the latest fundraising drive).

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)