[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia struggles, Mozilla set for life?

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 15:45:41 UTC 2007

> Out of 106,813 accesses to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ loads of
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search? account for 9674 of them.

Veering off-topic, as always, are you able to determine how many of
these are intentional and how many are a case where the user probably
expected to get an article rather than the search page (cf. "search"
and "go" buttons, "&go=Go" in the url, etc.)

Of course this makes the inappropriate assumption that more than a
small fraction of site *readers* are familiar enough with the mw
software to know the difference.

But the point I was trying to make is that our built-in search sucks
and if anybody who knows what they're doing is looking for something
specific on Wikipedia they'll skip that step and go straight to google
anyway.

—C.W.