[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 25 16:22:57 UTC 2007

Fred Bauder wrote:
> Willy D wrote:
>> On 10/24/07, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
>>> "Anyone who wants to understand what is going on here, should simply
>>> read [http://www.someattacksite.com/Admin_name.html this link]."
>>
>> That seems like a clear violation of WP:NPA without use of badsites at
>> all.  I don't think anyone seriously disputes this.  I will say "Even
>> without anything resembling badsites, this is actionable under
>> WP:NPA".  Even if we, as a community, reject WP:BADSITES to the last
>> editor, this is still unacceptable per WP:NPA.  Doesn't matter.
>> Totally off topic.
>
> Actually, no. It's not off topic. Harassment policy, to the extent it is
> valid, is based on No Personal Attacks.

What he means is that even if WP:BADSITES were expunged from the history
of Wikipedia and erased from the minds of all of its editors such that
it was not even remotely possible to use it as a justification for any
action whatsoever, the link would _still_ be removed simply on the basis
of the existing no-personal-attacks policy. So BADSITES is completely
irrelevant to the matter of whether this link is removed.

BADSITES and BADSITES-like proposals are _extensions_ to the no personal
attacks policy, covering things that are not in and of themselves
personal attacks. That's where the dispute comes in.