[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Phil Sandifer Snowspinner at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:53:50 UTC 2007

On Oct 23, 2007, at 10:37 AM, Oskar Sigvardsson wrote:

> On 10/23/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
>> My favorite part of the video, btw, is that French is the first
>> language to come up when he identifies the Wikipedias of the
>> developing world.
>
> Since much of Africa speaks it natively, it seems like a completely
> appropriate choice, why wouldn't it be French? Saying that developing
> countries don't speak French is like saying only people from Spain
> speaks Spanish.

Yeah, though that's not the direction the "developing world" bit
goes. And the next language to appear is German, which is not nearly
as widely spoken in the developing world.

It is pretty obvious that the background was just cued as a montage
of languages that we have Wikis in, and that it doesn't quite sync
with the dialogue at that point. Totally a small issue. Also funny.

-Phil