[WikiEN-l] fundraising

Oldak Quill oldakquill at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:52:00 UTC 2007

On 23/10/2007, Oskar Sigvardsson <oskarsigvardsson at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 10/23/07, Phil Sandifer <Snowspinner at gmail.com> wrote:
> > My favorite part of the video, btw, is that French is the first
> > language to come up when he identifies the Wikipedias of the
> > developing world.
>
> Since much of Africa speaks it natively, it seems like a completely
> appropriate choice, why wouldn't it be French? Saying that developing
> countries don't speak French is like saying only people from Spain
> speaks Spanish.

Looking down the list of the least developed countries (there are 55)
at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Least_Developed_Countries , of the top
10 countries listed under "Africa", Portuguese, French or Spanish is
listed as an official language for 10 of them (French is listed as the
official language of 9). This isn't the best way to sample, but I
can't find any other figures. I think it shows a trend (albeit a trend
with large error).

--
Oldak Quill (oldakquill at gmail.com)