[WikiEN-l] Harassment sites

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Mon Oct 15 22:51:43 UTC 2007

fredbaud at waterwiki.info wrote:
>> As you know, Fred, communities are prone to capture by special interest
>> groups.
>

> Yes, and it will be a miracle of the first order if Wikipedia escapes capture by some group.

I don't think it will be a miracle at all. It'll be a direct consequence
of Jimbo and the various Foundation trustees saying that certain things
are non-negotiable. That there are lines that we will never cross. And
meaning it, of course. Then, capturing the community doesn't achieve much.

But if they start to believe that the community is as important or more
important than the encyclopedia, then special-interest capture would be
a big risk.

William

P.S. For those just tuning in, I'm not saying the community is
unimportant. It's important like your heart is important: You should
certainly take stellar care of it. But if it comes down to it, you
should take a heart transplant over dying.

--
William Pietri <william at scissor.com>
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:William_Pietri