[WikiEN-l] Arbcom

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com
Sun Oct 14 14:11:12 UTC 2007

"Thomas Dalton" wrote

> > We could maybe stagger elections to have two a year, but given how
> > dreadful elections are, I think that's unlikely to be productive.

> If it happens every year, that's all the more reason to do something
> about it, surely?
>
> I think the current term length is too long. Things online move very
> fast - 3 years is an extremely long time. I think elections every 6
> months, giving an 18 month term length, would work better. I know it's
> twice as many elections, but they're not really that time consuming -
> I think it's worth it.

You are assuming an entirely elected AC. This has never been the case. (Those who treat it as axiomatic that electing the AC is the only way will have to live with what they get.) There could perfectly well be appointments made in the second half of the year. Some kind of substitute system is probably the best compromise anyway.

Charles