[WikiEN-l] Could we use a chore wheel?

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Oct 12 19:12:01 UTC 2007

On 10/12/07, Charlotte Webb <charlottethewebb at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think as long as we remain volunteers, most of us will edit whatever
> we want, whenever we want. If you want to work out some sort of
> brownie point system for those whom you entice to work in the least
> glamorous areas of the encyclopedia, it might be fun enough for some
> people to play along with, but Wikipedians generally prefer to be
> self-directed.

Some self-directed activity is great, and some people prefer to only
work that way. But the ability to achieve mutually agreed goals is
very important, and we're lacking in that regard. However, Many people
enjoy the *freedom* that come from working for someone else, and some
prefer to only work that way (though I think we scare away those
people).

The notion that volunteerism is somehow incompatible with all forms of
structured work is wrongheaded and harmful.  If you go an volunteer
for other non-profits they don't just give you a CEO business card
when you walk in off the street and allow you to start by rearranging
the office while the floors remain unswept and the phones remain
unanswered.

Do we healthy and maintainable we should find the right mixture of
approaches. People who care about the project itself and not just
their pet interests should be willing to put in some time on things
which are needed even if those tasks wouldn't be their first choices.
Furthermore, without being pushed out of your comfort zone a little
it's hard to grow personally.