[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Re: Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 21:08:28 UTC 2007

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com>
Date: 27 Nov 2007 20:51
Subject: (offlist) Re: [WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided
the Durova Case
To: David Gerard <dgerard at gmail.com>

David, could you forward this too, please?

> > Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 20:11:17 +0000
> > From: james.farrar at gmail.com
> > To: wikien-l at lists.wikimedia.org
> > Subject: Re: [WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case
> > The point is that it's impossible to name them because their identity
> > is being kept a secret; they have been referred to only as "trusted
> > people". This is why such a fuss is being kicked up - by Durova's own
> > statements, some "trusted people" that she consulted "enthusiastically
> > endorsed" the !! block.

I can confirm that no-one on the cyberstalking discussion list
"enthusiastically endorsed" the block. It wasn't presented to the list
as a block proposal. It was just a list of links designed as a "case
study" of how to spot an alternate/sockpuppet account. I didn't read
it at the time, and actually I doubt many people did, because the
discussion group wasn't set up to deal with general sockpuppetry, but
to focus on the issue of harassment.

The post may have been presented to the investigations list. I don't
recall seeing it there, and I don't have it in my archives, but I
wasn't reading most of the posts on that list, so I may have missed
it. It may also have been presented elsewhere, I don't know. The only
thing I do know is that there was no enthusiastic endorsement by the
cyberstalking discussion group.

Sarah