[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Tue Nov 27 18:19:29 UTC 2007

On Nov 27, 2007 1:01 PM, Jimmy Wales <jwales at wikia.com> wrote:
> Alec Conroy wrote:
> > The cyberstalking list, problematic though it is, isn't as enigmatic
> > as the investigations list.  The investigations list was clearly
> > formed just for the purpose of gathering evidence to support bans.
> > The cyberstalking list might have a claim to being
> > "support-group-esque", but the investigations list, by its name,
> > summary, and the content of its messages, certainly appears to be a
> > place designed to influence on-wiki actions.
>
> The cyberstalking list is in no way problematic.
>
> I know nothing about any "investigations list" and can't comment.

Isn't this the list about which Guy said "Jimbo was happy to own it,
in fact, but I probably have more time."  Because, that's the list I
was talking about when I said that Guy runs one of them.

> But
> in general, a list for investigations does not strike me as particularly
> problematic at all.  It could be a bad thing, depending on what is
> meant, but the name itself does not automatically mean badness.
>
> A good investigations list would be a quiet place where users could
> collect information and ask questions.
>
> "Say, this person looks like a sockpuppet..."
>
> "No, not really, check this out..."
>
> "Oh, ok."
>
> Nothing wrong with that, and in fact we need more of it. (IRC serves
> this function quite usefully in many cases.)

Even if so, such a list should definitely not be run on Wikia's
servers, its existence should not be secret, its membership should be
determined in a fair and open process, and it should not reveal
private information unless all of its members have been cleared to
receive such information.