[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Nov 27 18:01:27 UTC 2007

Alec Conroy wrote:
> The cyberstalking list, problematic though it is, isn't as enigmatic
> as the investigations list.  The investigations list was clearly
> formed just for the purpose of gathering evidence to support bans.
> The cyberstalking list might have a claim to being
> "support-group-esque", but the investigations list, by its name,
> summary, and the content of its messages, certainly appears to be a
> place designed to influence on-wiki actions.

The cyberstalking list is in no way problematic.

I know nothing about any "investigations list" and can't comment.  But
in general, a list for investigations does not strike me as particularly
problematic at all.  It could be a bad thing, depending on what is
meant, but the name itself does not automatically mean badness.

A good investigations list would be a quiet place where users could
collect information and ask questions.

"Say, this person looks like a sockpuppet..."

"No, not really, check this out..."

"Oh, ok."

Nothing wrong with that, and in fact we need more of it. (IRC serves
this function quite usefully in many cases.)

--Jimbo