[WikiEN-l] Missed Opportunities to have avoided the Durova Case

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Tue Nov 27 17:51:27 UTC 2007

Matthew Brown wrote:
> On Nov 26, 2007 9:55 PM, Steve Summit <scs at eskimo.com> wrote:
>> Yow.  I, for one, didn't know that (though I can't say I'm surprised).
>
> I'd advise you to be a little more cautious about taking everything
> Alec says here at face value.  He's presenting it from the
> maximum-drama, maximum-assumption-of-bad-faith point of view, in my
> opinion.

I do not want to criticize Alec or his motives.  But having been a
participant on the mailing list in question from day one, I can say with
absolute confidence that it is not and was not in any way nefarious, and
that the representations being made about it here and on-wiki are just
silly.

A good group of users got together independently to talk about the very
real problem of cyberstalking of Wikipedia admins.  This is something
that all of us should be concerned about.  The problem is difficult and
complex, and it is not made easier by "free speechers" who like to make
the biggest wikidrama out of everything that they can.

--Jimbo