[WikiEN-l] Pakistani politicians and systemic bias

Delirium delirium at hackish.org
Thu Nov 15 23:42:38 UTC 2007

charles.r.matthews at ntlworld.com wrote:
> What is the actual issue? I think it is that inappropriate  speedy nominations are proportionately more of a serious issue than "speedy keeps" at AfD; and certainly more a problem than inappropriate PROD nominations (PROD seems to be applied in a much more reaonable, even way). Of the three processes, the "triage" is at its most serious in CSD. When AfD gets it wrong it is at least after more eyeballs than two, possibly bloodshot.
>
> Nominations under G1, G11, A1 and A7 all can be problematic. Careless use of terms "nonsense", "promotion", "no context", "non-notable" should be deprecated. These are not synonyms with "hard to read", "informative", "obscure topic", "out-of-the-way or annoying to me" (respectively). Basically we need to formulate something that isolates a bit better where things fall down the cracks in the system.

One approach that would cut out some of the worst instances would be to
restrict speedy deletion to only: 1) copyright violations; or 2) new
articles from the past week. If an article that isn't a copyright
violation has been on Wikipedia for two years, surely it can wait
another week as a PROD before being deleted, and the "keep up with the
torrent of new articles" justification doesn't apply.

This would get rid of the instances (which constitute most of my
speedy-undeletions) where an article that's been around for a while, and
might even be watchlisted by multiple people, is speedy-tagged and
deleted all in the course of about 2 minutes before any of the people
who watch it get a chance to notice and object.

-Mark