[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Feature suggestion for UI: make the "cancel" link on an edit page a button

Charlotte Webb charlottethewebb at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 17:18:17 UTC 2007

On Nov 9, 2007 9:12 AM, Steve Bennett <stevagewp at gmail.com> wrote:
> (if it's worth saying, it's worth saying three times, right?)

Somebody famous said that "anything worth doing is worth over-doing",
but it really doesn't matter as the warnings are still not conspicuous
enough to be noticed.

> Somehow I don't think the wiki model is working so well
> for user interface design. Would that we had a dedicated UI expert in
> charge of it.

Of course, people who actually use the UI are always in a better
position to judge such things than an expert consultant. If somebody
wants to hire a professional, that's fine with me, even if I do
believe it to be a waste of money. I would only hope they start
working on some brand new skins, rather than fucking around with the
existing monobook.

> Getting back to your original question, does it really have to be
> a button?

No, but as David said it would make the edit form look just a tiny bit
more normal.

> A big "cancel" link at the title level would be fine.

That sounds like it'd be obnoxious. Might add that "big links" are
vulnerable to unintended clicks, which may result in a lot of lost
luggage when edits are accidentally aborted, especially in notoriously
crappy web browsers which refuse to cache user-entered form content
for even two seconds.

Rather than discussing the visual appearance of the edit form, let's
talk about practical features, like the one I see here in gmail:

> Draft autosaved at 11:05 AM (1 minute ago)

Hehehe, keep dreaming maybe?

—C.W.