[WikiEN-l] Fwd: Feature suggestion for UI: make the "cancel" link on an edit page a button

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Fri Nov 9 15:12:10 UTC 2007

> I proposed this on mediawiki-l. What are your thoughts on this as
> frequent users of the MediaWiki interface?

I can't say I even knew there was a "cancel" link until you just pointed it
out. There are all sorts of usability issues with
the editing interface far worse than this one.

Gawd, I just noticed that the current text at en looks like this:

--
Content that violates any copyright will be deleted. Encyclopedic content
must be verifiable. You agree to license your contributions under the GFDL*.

(if it's worth saying, it's worth saying three times, right?)

Somehow I don't think the wiki model is working so well
for user interface design. Would that we had a dedicated UI expert in
charge of it.

Getting back to your original question, does it really have to be
a button? A big "cancel" link
at the title level would be fine. But in any case, it's relatively intuitive
after a while that you simply press "back" or even the "article" link
at the top. There are a few places
where similar logic applies

Steve