[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Feb 26 20:06:29 UTC 2007

Matthew Brown wrote:

>On 2/26/07, Jeff Raymond <jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com> wrote:
>

>>But I remain pessimistic.  Even now, after three weeks of consistent
>>abuses from many administrative forces, the only time Jimbo feels the need
>>to step in is due to a wheel war.
>>

>Have you considered that Jimbo may not want to have to do this - that
>he does not wish to micro-manage?

I concur with this view.  Most of the time when Jimbo involves himself
in these disputes it tends to create more confusion.  We need to learn
to figure it out among ourselves.  The best use of Jimbo's time is not
in mucking about with these disputes, but in broader service to WMF such
as promotion and public speaking.  For him to be able to solve disputes
would also require him to spend more time monitoring these things, and
for a traveller that is not always possible.  As you know many of these
disputes flare up quite suddenly without any forewarning; that alone
makes them better handled by people with a more regular presence.

Ec