[WikiEN-l] Scott McCloud on Wikipedia

Sheldon Rampton sheldon at prwatch.org
Sun Feb 25 17:53:31 UTC 2007

Ray Saintonge wrote:

> The sad part is that many who quote or apply the rules have absolutely
> no understanding of what went into producing those rules.

I think this is the real problem more than the rules themselves. I
had an unpleasant experience about six months ago with someone who
nominated the [[Drupal]] article for deletion. Drupal is a content
management system that has had several books written about it;
Wikipedia articles on it exist in at least a dozen languages; and the
English-language article has existed for years with dozens if not
hundreds of individual editors participating in it. The article met
every test for notability, but it got nominated anyway.

Worse yet, the same individual also kept trying to delete specific
pieces of information from the article, such as the link to Drupal's
own website (which he called "linkspam"). The individual who kept
doing this would frequently cite Wikipedia policies, but his usage of
them was arbitrary, capricious and often contrary to the actual
policies themselves.

I got sufficiently irritated with this person that I spent some time
reviewing the history of his contributions to Wikipedia and found
that he didn't have a pattern of similar behavior outside the
[[Drupal]] article. Elsewhere, he generally seemed to be a competent,
sincere contributor. By his own admission, however, he didn't know
anything about Drupal and didn't care to learn anything about it. The
result was that he was mechanically applying rules without sufficient
knowledge of the topic at hand to grasp when and whether the rules
applied. The problem, in other words, wasn't that he lacked
understanding of *the rules themselves*. Rather, he lacked
understanding of *how the rules should be applied in a specific
context*.

I don't think there's any way to write rules so perfect that they
eliminate this type of problem. It's a people problem, not a rule
problem. Maybe we could add a new rule that says people should defer
to others when editing articles about topics they don't understand,
but (1) the most likely violators of this policy won't read the rule
anyway, and (2) even if they do, they probably won't recognize their
own ignorance.

I have a solution: a system whereby individual Wikipedians get rated
by other users according to their competency as editors in specific
topic areas. I estimate that developing the code necessary to make
this work properly will take approximately the same number of person-
hours as it has taken thus far to write all of Wikipedia. Add to that
the number of hours needed to spend arguing about whether such a
system is desireable or possible, and we effectively have a problem
that will be solved at about the same time as the heat death of the
universe. ;-)