[WikiEN-l] Daniel Brandt

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Sun Feb 25 01:46:06 UTC 2007

Phil Sandifer wrote:

> On Feb 24, 2007, at 3:28 PM, Ray Saintonge wrote:
>
>> That absence of consensus alone contraindicates any kind of speedy
>> action.  When who shows up in a "speedy" situation that hour (not just
>> that day) makes a difference there is just too much room for abuse.
>> What happens with Brandt or any other person that wants an article
>> about
>> himself removed is only one little corner of the problem.  A truly
>> collaborative environment has no place for debates that depend on some
>> kind of win/lose paradigm.  Speedy deletes should never be a weapon
>> for
>> winning a POV war.  Unless something is _immediately_ dangerous it can
>> afford the time for due process.  Immediate gratification is not
>> important.
>
> This gets at another very, very fundamental problem, though - one
> that is increasingly ripping the project apart at a foundational
> level. (I am not, it should be noted, speaking here on a community
> level. I'm talking about the encyclopedia itself.)
>
> Our due process is capricious and based on who shows up. This is most
> obvious on AfD, where articles are serially renominated until they
> get deleted. The renominations are justified under the slogan
> "consensus can change," but in practice it's not consensus that
> changes - few of the people who voted keep the previous few times
> even show up to weigh in. That's not consensus changing - that's the
> equivalent of asking daddy if you can have a cookie because mommy
> said no.
>
> -Phil

I agree that this is a troublesome development. The more active users,
the more of an issue this becomes. Finding a good way to fix this is not
easy.

[brainstorm]
How about if there is a list somewhere of AFD participants. Anyone can
add their name to the list, but an AFD can only be closed when a quorum
(TBD) of those participants have made some comment on the deletion
proposal. Someone will be de-listed if they have not commented on any
proposal for a defined period. Of course, they can immediately re-join
the list of participants at any time.
[/brainstorm]

NB: A "brainstorm" in this context means a relatively unfiltered idea,
intended primarily to stimulate thought, modifications, and other
proposals. Seldom will an initial brainstorm idea be accepted as is.

-Rich Holton