[WikiEN-l] Moderation on this mailing list

Samuel L Bronkowitz countpointercount at gmail.com
Tue Feb 20 18:55:11 UTC 2007

On 2/20/07, William Pietri <william at scissor.com> wrote:

> Mark Ryan wrote:
> > For transparency, the moderated user "countpointercount" has the
> > following message for subscribers to the mailing list:
> >
> > 'Your "moderators" are now claiming that any reporting of abusive
> > administrators is a "personal attack." This is obvious coverup
> > behavior.'
> >

> > This is in response to my rejection of two emails, both of which I
> > considered to contain personal attacks because they called various
> > administrators 'abusive' etc. What are the thoughts of subscribers to
> > the list on this? What would the appropriate course of action have
> > been?
> >

> Having  been cc'd on one of those rejected messages, I think you made
> the right decision.
>
> I looked into the user in question, and he was being contentious and
> difficult on AIV within 30 minutes of creating his account. I'd give
> 10:1 odds that he's a sockpuppet doing the standard
> I'm-really-not-a-sockpuppet dance. His refusal to calm down and the
> stridency of his accusations aren't helping, either.
>
> On the off chance that his he's really a well-meaning user, it seems to
> me that he doesn't have a lot invested in that account, and he's already
> gotten himself a bad reputation. If he's still following this list, I'd
> suggest that he just let this incident go and take a month's break from
> Wikipedia. Then when he has cooled down, he can start fresh with a new
> account. As long as he becomes a good contributor and  behaves
> appropriately, nobody will know or care that he once got off on the
> wrong foot.
>

> I know some people are concerned that this is censorship, and is
> blocking an avenue of appeal. If people are really worried about that,
> we could create another list where we try to sort the wheat from the
> chaff and talk down from the ledge people who are upset, legitimately or
> not. Something between an ombudsman, a help desk, and a therapist. I'd
> rather not see that traffic on this list, but I'm glad to serve on that
> other list.
>
> William

Lie much?

"he was being contentious and
difficult on AIV within 30 minutes of creating his account."

You mean, I spoke up on Adminstrator's Noticeboard (AIV?) about something I
saw that I considered to be improper behavior: the deliberate provocation of
a user, by an admin, conduct which would never have been countenanced were
they not an admin, a Checkuser filed obviously as a fishing expedition, and
obviously falsified results that could have no bearing on the case.

Coverup.