[WikiEN-l] Rx Dosage Instructions in Wikipedia

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Mon Feb 19 10:52:47 UTC 2007

On 2/19/07, George Chriss <GChriss at psu.edu> wrote:
> Even with a general site disclaimer, the above information may be non-encyclopedic.  Wikipedia is not a how-to guide, a doctor, a pharmacist, a drug

I find it frustrating how often useful information is removed under
the single principle of "Wikipedia is not a ...". Explaining how to
use a coffee plunger? "Wikipedia is not a how-to..." - yes, but what
surely an explanation is an essential part of the article. Links to
articles that demonstrate the concept of [[One deal a day]]?
"Wikipedia is not a repository of links". Mentioning the local tourist
attractions and best restaurants of a small town? "Wikipedia is not a
travel guide" - yes, but that's probably the most useful thing you
could write about a small town.

Is it time we replaced WP:NOT with "Wikipedia is not an encyclopaedia.
It's unique, and it's just trying to be useful to people, dammit."

Steve