[WikiEN-l] Admins and elitism

Jeff Raymond jeff.raymond at internationalhouseofbacon.com
Tue Feb 13 21:24:10 UTC 2007

Rich Holton wrote:
> Given the recent discussions on this list, and the continuing increase
> in de-facto requirements for new admins, I have to wonder if we are not
> now well on the way to the creation of an elite class on Wikipedia.
>
> It appears to me that the vocal representatives of the current crop of
> admins (meaning those who have become admins within the last year or so)
>   have left far behind the idea that being an admin is "no big deal".
> They see being an admin as a big deal, and want things to remain that way.

You're not wrong, and I'm of the opinion that we are in a situation where
we have an elite class already.  The problem is twofold:

1) Adminship *is* a big deal, whether we want it to be or not.  We trust
them to do too much, expect a lot of them, and it's very difficult to
remove or sanction an administrator who acts inappropriately.

2) More importantly, adminship is viewed as a reward rather than a
responsibility, thus creating a protector group of admins.  There's one
recently-promoted admin in particular who embodies this concept, but there
are many like him.

> Perhaps the solution will require a complete re-thinking of how "special
> rights" are allocated on Wikipedia, or even a complete re-thinking of
> how vandalism is handled. But unless those involved are willing to
> perceive the problem, and willing to engage the problem, nothing will
> happen towards solving the problem.

It has to, and you're absolutely right.  Judging by the current RfA crop,
it doesn't appear to be changing either - one person I'm very
uncomfortable with but can't figure out why is sailing through, and one
person who really should be given the bit is being opposed for even
sillier reasons than some of the opposes on mine.

The Foundation is unlikely to get involved, and Jimbo really should, but
won't.  I wish there was a better answer.

-Jeff