[WikiEN-l] Admins and elitism

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Tue Feb 13 21:16:52 UTC 2007

Given the recent discussions on this list, and the continuing increase
in de-facto requirements for new admins, I have to wonder if we are not
now well on the way to the creation of an elite class on Wikipedia.

It appears to me that the vocal representatives of the current crop of
admins (meaning those who have become admins within the last year or so)
  have left far behind the idea that being an admin is "no big deal".
They see being an admin as a big deal, and want things to remain that way.

As I understand things, these admins view themselves as the
indispensable shield between Wikipedia and the world, which is full of
devious and persistent vandals. Without them (the admins), Wikipedia
would fail utterly. Essentially, they carry the weight of the survival
of Wikipedia on their shoulders.

Each new admin, having just gone through a "rigorous" application and
approval process, has essentially been selected for taking this sort of
view. And each new admin has every good reason for maintaining or
increasing the requirements for successive admins. In this respect, it
becomes very like the process of hazing found in many clubs and
exclusive organizations). This trend toward ever more "rigorous"
requirements has led to cases of hazing on some US university campuses
that were so severe the "applicant" died as a result.

Of course, the admins point to the very real challenges that vandals
pose as the reason for the rigor of the application process. They reject
any proposal that might place Wikipedia is peril.

Perhaps they're right. I'm certain that they truly want what it best for
Wikipedia.

But what I don't see is any real desire for a change in this trend
toward ever more rigorous requirements for becoming an admin. What I
don't see is any concern for the inherent conflict between the mere
existence of admins and the wiki principles that are the real reason for
the success of Wikipedia. I don't see any comprehension of the
possibility that the elitism of admins is the cause of some of the
vandalism. What I don't see is recognition that there is a problem worth
working on.

Perhaps the solution will require a complete re-thinking of how "special
rights" are allocated on Wikipedia, or even a complete re-thinking of
how vandalism is handled. But unless those involved are willing to
perceive the problem, and willing to engage the problem, nothing will
happen towards solving the problem.

-Rich Holton
(user:Rholton)