[WikiEN-l] Your comments on wikien-l regarding adminship

Erik Moeller erik at wikimedia.org
Sat Feb 10 07:21:04 UTC 2007

On 2/9/07, Kelly Martin <kelly.lynn.martin at gmail.com> wrote:
> Users start out as being viewed with caution and
> suspicion, and must "earn" their admin "privileges" by fulfilling some
> ridiculous set of criteria.

I agree that the current process is broken; the criteria are
increasingly unreasonable. One way to address this would be to
whitelist the list of valid criteria, rather than allowing every user
to come up with their own.

Another approach would be an Admin Appointment Board that would
complement the existing process, but follow a more liberal philosophy
and find consensus more quickly simply by being smaller.

I don't like your specific proposal much because I think the constant
re-appointed would be process overkill, as would be the restriction on
objections. Wikis don't scale that well to accommodate processes above
a certain complexity.
--
Peace & Love,
Erik