[WikiEN-l] Admin burnout

Rich Holton richholton at gmail.com
Fri Feb 9 23:35:32 UTC 2007

Marc Riddell wrote:
> on 2/9/07 3:44 PM, geni at geniice at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Šyou end up with resentment against the lucky
>> ones.
>
> After reading all of the posts on the provocatively-named subject "Admin
> Burnout", I am hard pressed to see anything "lucky" about being "chosen" as
> one. How on earth would you go about persuading someone to take this on? The
> whole day's posts have spoken about nothing but the negative side of the
> job; are there any advantages - or are you simply hoping there are enough
> masochists out there to fill the positions?
>
> Marc Riddell

While it's true that some people's approach to being admins puts them in
the way of much undeserved abuse, that is not the only way to be an admin.

Lest I be misunderstood, I appreciate the work that those admins do. It
is necessary work, and Wikipedia benefits from it. These admins deserve
our thanks and our support.

However, Wikipedia can also benefit from the less active admins. These
admins have a lower profile, and spend much less time on the project.
Because of how RfA works now, these admins tend to be those who have
burned out, or who became admins quite some time ago (as I did).

-Rich