[WikiEN-l] An expanded-topic Mailing List

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:15:33 UTC 2007

> Good reason to avoid it!  The problem with chat rooms is that they are
> geared toward people with short attention spans who think is one-line
> bites.  The kind of thoughtful discussion that Marc envisions does not
> fit in that kind of environment.  In some cases I prefer to wait a day
> or two to think about my answer before replying.

In any case, IRC and email lists are not compatible choices. IRC
doesn't suit me. Email doesn't suit others. We can't just send those
that want to discuss some topic to IRC, unless something about the
medium itself is particularly relevant.

But seriously, I am all for splitting this list. A single list that
deals with issues as diverse as "Why did I get blocked", "Check out
this cool article", "Interesting report about Wikipedia", and "Where
should Wikipedia go in the next 5 years" just doesn't really gel.

I'd like a seriously moderated list where only serious discussion is
tolerated. Without depriving the freshly blocked of a forum to rant
in.

Steve