[WikiEN-l] Discussion forum - The WikBack

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 23:51:32 UTC 2007

On Dec 28, 2007 3:53 PM, The Uninvited Co., Inc <uninvited at nerstrand.net>
wrote:

> Yesterday I opened a discussion forum called "The WikBack" for public
> use.  It is intended to be an alternative to wikien-l for those who
> prefer the organization and participation style of a web-based forum.
> You do not need to register to read posts.  Registration is available to
> anyone who has an account on ENWP.
>
> The WikBack is advertising free. I am paying the hosting fees out of my
> own pocket.
>
> Please consider participating.
>
> http://www.wikback.com
>
> UninvitedCompany
>
> A good idea, UC; forums are usually better at threaded  conversation and
it is much easier to correct things when folks go off-topic.

Now please, I say this in good faith:  You might want to beef up that
privacy policy. Most message boards include statements like not sharing IP
addresses with third parties unless required by law, not selling the mailing
list, explicitly stating that one's email address will be visible to other
users (like it is here on wiki-en-l), etc.  They could be built into the
registration form, as an alternative.  I'm offering these suggestions
because privacy is a concern to a lot of people who have an interest in
Wikipedia (whether registered users or not), and these questions are likely
to recur.

Would I be correct in assuming that the only parallel between this forum and
Wikipedia will be the requirement to use one's WP editor name?  Does it
matter what the WP status of that name is (i.e., indefinitely banned users
not invited)?

I figured I'd ask these questions here so you have a chance to respond to
the broader audience - one more opportunity to bump this thread to the top!

Thanks
Risker