[WikiEN-l] WP:EPISODE

Ken Arromdee arromdee at rahul.net
Sat Dec 22 19:07:37 UTC 2007

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007, David Goodman wrote:
> It's not just having a complete set--though that surely matters. (We
> can have a complete set by other means too, such as combination
> articles with enough information about the individual parts).
> It's also about consistency--the particular items kept are not
> necessarily the most important of them--our precision of deciding at
> AfD is nowhere near that good, and will never be while we refuse to
> recognize precedent. Lack of consistency makes us look incompetent to
> do the real work of building a good encyclopedia.

You know, I could say the same about spoiler tags--spoiler tagging all
spoilers for consistency is better even if it does tag some plot sections
that you can already tell contain spoilers.

In fact, I did say that.  Nobody cared.

> Even more, it's about the practical operation of WP. The work of
> arguing each individual article is excessive.

I could say that about spoiler tags too.

I think this episode deletionism pretty much proves that removal of spoiler
tags--and the particular ways the system was gamed in order to do it--was far
from unique.

Of course you need to look back further than spoiler tags for this.  Webcomic
deletion has a lot in common with episode deletion too.  Sure, a lot of those
webcomic articles did deserve deletion, but that was simply because
indiscriminate deletion will always catch some that really deserve it.