[WikiEN-l] WP:EPISODE

Bryan Derksen bryan.derksen at shaw.ca
Fri Dec 21 18:27:30 UTC 2007

Todd Allen wrote:
> Cruft. Disorganization. Lack of context. If we're to be writing an
> -encyclopedia-, it needs to have certain standards. We don't for example
> cover every living person in the world, because the vast majority of
> them are not notable. Let Myspace do that. Similarly, let All Music
> Guide cover the two-bit bands and tv.com cover every episode of every
> show. We're supposed to be distilling, not replicating.

So why do we bother having articles about topics that Britannica's
already thoroughly covered, then? Why do we allow stubs to exist if
"disorganized" and "lacking context" are valid reasons for summary deletion?

Also, I should point out that in many of the cases that I've checked
where articles were removed our coverage is _better_ than TV.com. Better
both in terms of detail and presentation, and better in terms of license
 (if TV.com's under any sort of free licence I can't find it in that
cluttered mess). So in some cases the removal of these articles is
removing the best source of information about those shows that you can
readily find _anywhere_ on the Internet.

And before you take that as an opening to cry "OR!", bear in mind that
one can take multiple sub-par sources and combine them into something
that's greater than any one source individually.