[WikiEN-l] Citizendium on quality

joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu joshua.zelinsky at yale.edu
Wed Dec 19 02:30:06 UTC 2007

Quoting Nathan Awrich <nawrich at gmail.com>:

> I wouldn't rely on the head start, since Wikipedia content is free for
> re-use. Anything we've got here thats good, they can copy and improve.
> However, that is based on a view of these enterprises as competitive.
> Really, they are complementary. The point, in this case, is the goal
> rather than the path. Wikipedia is useful _now_, but in the future it
> may be any one of similar projects. We could be Lycos or Infoseek
> foreshadowing Google. Works for me.

Well Citizendium for reasons I don't fully understand decided to delete all of
their from-Wikipedia content that hadn't been already highly modified. So they
seem to be determined to succeed without the free re-use which seems to me at
least to be needlessly shooting oneself in the foot. I want my content to be
reused. I'd likely not contribute if it had to be under a more restrictive
license. But yes, if the best we do is to make a roadmap for someone to
do even
better than we have done we should be happy.