[WikiEN-l] Citizendium on quality

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Wed Dec 19 01:29:55 UTC 2007

On 19/12/2007, Nathan Awrich <nawrich at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wouldn't rely on the head start, since Wikipedia content is free for
> re-use. Anything we've got here thats good, they can copy and improve.
> However, that is based on a view of these enterprises as competitive.
> Really, they are complementary. The point, in this case, is the goal
> rather than the path. Wikipedia is useful _now_, but in the future it
> may be any one of similar projects. We could be Lycos or Infoseek
> foreshadowing Google. Works for me.

Our content is pretty much worthless, because, as you say, anyone can
re-use it. Wikipedia's value comes from brand recognition and a
dedicated community. Of course, unless Citizendium chooses a
compatible license (have they chosen one at all yet? The deadline they
set passed months ago, didn't it? The copyright notice on the bottom
of their pages says they haven't...), they can't reuse anything
without the weird different licenses for different pages thing, which
I can't see working.