[WikiEN-l] The Wikipedia critics' perfect storm

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Mon Dec 17 14:33:44 UTC 2007

On 17/12/2007, Daniel R. Tobias <dan at tobias.name> wrote:
> On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 01:13:45 +0000, "Andrew Gray"
> <shimgray at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I'm really not sure this has faded as much as you make out. I mean, I
> > stumbled across *yet another* of those "let's look at Wikipedia, isn't
> > it really exciting" articles today entirely by accident -
> > http://thephoenix.com/article_ektid52864.aspx
>
> But I'll note that this positively-toned article does include a link
> to Wikipedia Review, showing that even friendly, sympathetic
> reporters don't seem to share the "Linking to attack sites is EVIL!"
> taboo.

People outside a community don't share that community shibboleths!
Film at eleven, as I believe they say. ;-)

It seems to me to be inevitable that any balanced piece over a page or
two in length is going to link to WR (or a similar site), in much the
same way as it's guaranteed to have a paragraph or two on Citizendium
or Knol or whatever other competitor just got a press release issued.

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk