[WikiEN-l] Former Wikimedia employee was a felon.

Relata Refero refero.relata at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 05:43:37 UTC 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 9:00 AM, SlimVirgin <slimvirgin at gmail.com> wrote:
> joshua.zelinsky wrote:

> I'm also perplexed not only by the failure to tell Jimbo but by the failure to
> tell anyone else. Maybe I'm just a stuck-up self-righteous snot but I would
> have first gone to Jimbo and if he had known would have demanded disclosure by
> the Foundation. Even if you thought that Jimbo already knew about it why not
> let others know as well?
>
> Thomas Dalton wrote:
> That's a better question...
> "lying." Yet with this thing, he feels no responsibility to tell Jimbo
> -- and it makes no sense to argument that he thought Jimbo knew
> *exactly* the same things that Moreschi says he discovered, because
> what possible reason would he have for assuming that? -- and, Jimbo
> aside, also feels no responsibility to alert the community. I hope
> he'll explain why he had such a different attitude to the two issues.
>

> Sarah

As a cursory read-through of the previous posts should show, there
appears to be an obvious difference between the two situations. Many
of us consider it normal, and relatively OK, for the Foundation to not
need to disclose details of this sort of thing unless its hand is
forced; many of us considered the opposite about the various
private/secret lists/co-ordination mechanisms. Pushing a parallel
between the two that isn't there will only damage you, not Moreschi.
Let it go. We would be better served discussing JW's concern that we
don't give the WMF enough credit for transparency than allowing this
issue to descend into a toxic debate on personalities as well.

RR