[WikiEN-l] WR's secret forum and list

jayjg jayjg99 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 03:55:09 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 10:43 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 10:17 PM, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Dec 10, 2007 9:55 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Perhaps one additional lesson might be added, too - harassment and
> > > cyberstalking are real and it is probably time that we as a community
> > look
> > > at ways to provide some form of structured support and assistance in
> > > reporting this behaviour internallly and to appropriate authorities.
> > >
> > > Risker
> >
> > I have an idea; why not create an environment where people who have
> > suffered from this cyberstalking or wish to help could discuss their
> > issues in a safe and private way, and try to formulate coping
> > strategies. Perhaps Wikia would be kind enough to host it, and someone
> > who has suffered from this more than most could act as a moderator. We
> > could call the list, oh, I don't know, something like
> > "WpCyberstalking".
>
> One of the harms of online groups like this does more to closet the victims
> and withdraw them from the support of the entire community. It really does
> need some professional guidance.  And given that it has, to now, been
> invitation-only, victims have never known that there was someplace to turn
> to.

Much of Wikipedia's (particularly wikien-l's) public response to this
kind of cyberstalking has consisted of
a) disbelief and mockery (the word "rutabaga" comes to mind)
b) suggestions that the victims are to blame for being cyberstalked
c) suggestions that the victims should leave Wikipedia for the good of
Wikipedia.

Given that kind of environment, it's rather unsurprising the victims
have looked for something more private and supportive.