[WikiEN-l] WR's secret forum and list

Risker risker.wp at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 03:43:53 UTC 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 10:17 PM, jayjg <jayjg99 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Dec 10, 2007 9:55 PM, Risker <risker.wp at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Perhaps one additional lesson might be added, too - harassment and
> > cyberstalking are real and it is probably time that we as a community
> look
> > at ways to provide some form of structured support and assistance in
> > reporting this behaviour internallly and to appropriate authorities.
> >
> > Risker
>
> I have an idea; why not create an environment where people who have
> suffered from this cyberstalking or wish to help could discuss their
> issues in a safe and private way, and try to formulate coping
> strategies. Perhaps Wikia would be kind enough to host it, and someone
> who has suffered from this more than most could act as a moderator. We
> could call the list, oh, I don't know, something like
> "WpCyberstalking".

Actually, what is needed is some vision and willingness to recognise this
is a community problem, not a problem affecting just a few people.  What I
mean is to establish a list of supportive administrators (at least a few of
whom have checkuser) who are willing to give their real names to police to
support victims' allegations, and for the Foundation's Privacy Policy to
permit release of information specific to these types of allegations to law
authorities in whatever country. Instead of online group therapy led by
untrained individuals (which has been proven to be as dangerous as it is
sometimes comforting), develop lists of resources within communities.  Reach
out to major law enforcement agencies and develop relationships with their
cyberstalking units.

One of the harms of online groups like this does more to closet the victims
and withdraw them from the support of the entire community. It really does
need some professional guidance.  And given that it has, to now, been
invitation-only, victims have never known that there was someplace to turn
to.

Wikipedia isn't an island, we are in the real world and should make use of
real world systems to  solve what is, at the end of the day, a real world
problem.

Risker