[WikiEN-l] Wikipedia's response to the articles published in The Register

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:34:54 UTC 2007

As expressed at the bottom of the e-mail you received, that person was
definitely not a Wikipedia spokesperson.  If you would like a
more-official comment, please contact the Communications Manager for
the Foundation, Sandra Ordonez, at sordonez[at]wikimedia(dot)org or
the Wikimedia Foundation Communications Committee
<http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/ComCom>.

Rest assured that the Communications Committee is definitely working
hard on this very issue with lots of discussion taking place.

On Dec 9, 2007 6:06 AM, DanielMartin <DanielMartin at goowy.com> wrote:
> I am talking about these two articles here:
>
>        Secret mailing list rocks Wikipedia
>        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/04/wikipedia_secret_mailing/
>
>        Wikipedia black helicopters circle Utah's Traverse Mountain
>        http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/12/06/wikipedia_and_overstock/
>

> I was quite surprised when I read Wikipedia's extremely casual response to the recent articles published in The Register.
>
>        There are a variety of trash "information" sites, "reviews", blogs etc.
>        that attack Wikipedia. There is simply no time or resources to publish
>        rebuttals to their nonsense.
>
>        Yours sincerely,
>        David Monniaux
>
> Do you guys realize that the articles published in The Register are not mere "nonsense" (as the Wikipedia spokesperson claims), and appear quite well-researched and in-depth to the readers?
>
> The secret mailing list article has successfully convinced most people that all 1000 Wikipedia moderators were part of the "secret mailing list", and "the rank and file" are "on the verge of revolt". The second article (like the first one) has also made it to front-page on all the social news sites including Digg, Reddit and Slashdot. It has also convinced people that the Wikipedia moderators regularly block anybody who comes in their way. The blogs and forums are abuzz with the allegations of corruption rampant among Wikipedia moderators.
>
> Wikipedia relies on public trust and donations. Wikipedia's refusal to respond to such serious allegatinons, and instead launch an ad-hominem attack on The Register by calling their articles "nonsense" reflects very badly on the site, esp. when others have praised The Register for its in-depth journalism. CNET has praised the article for proving that "the journalism still alive":
>
>        http://www.cnet.com/8301-13846_1-9831164-62.html
>
> Wikipedia should take The Register allegations seriously, and respond seriously.
>
> Best Regards,
> Dan

Casey Brown
Cbrown1023