[WikiEN-l] One alternative

Steve Bennett stevagewp at gmail.com
Wed Dec 5 12:06:14 UTC 2007

Thanks for the post, Larry.

On 12/5/07, Larry Sanger <sanger at citizendium.org> wrote:
> shortage of hostile response.  But bear in mind, I am reaching out only
> to people who are seriously disappointed with Wikipedia or its
> management.  I think this is within the properly critical spirit of the

Personally, what I find disappointing is how much is made of these
incidents. There are a lot of drama queens here.

> In terms of management, to set a positive precedent, I plan to step down
> as editor-in-chief and hand over the reins to someone else--within the
> next year or two at most.  This will require that I do fundraising to

I wish we had an editor-in-chief. Anarchy works best with a dictator.
Since Jimbo became less hands-on, there has been a real leadership
vaccuum.

> pay this person's salary, because I myself have been living strictly
> from writing, speaking, and consulting fees.  I will at that time no
> longer play *any* role, formal or informal, in the governance of the
> Citizendium encyclopedia project.  (I will try to behave like the
> traditional disinterested U.S. ex-president.)  It just seems obvious to
> me that the leader of an allegedly democratic project should actually
> *step aside* when he's handed over the reins of power.

Nah. Forego the one person with the most experience, credibility and
understanding of the project?

> If you are motivated to try something different, join here:
> http://en.citizendium.org/wiki/Special:RequestAccount

I'm not yet convinced that the world needs two community-edited
encyclopaedias. I wonder if someone will attempt a project to fuse
them. Maybe such a thing already exists: browse both in parallel,
every time you click a link it looks in both of them. Maybe we should
be considering interwiki links to CZ? The information would still be
separate, and we could still distinguish between the models used to
create it.

> By the way, I'm sorry to those who have been waiting, but I hope to
> announce our license before *too* much longer.  The announcement will be
> accompanied by a very long essay, which I haven't finished yet.  Please
> don't assume the license will be incompatible with Wikipedia's...there's
> a decent chance it will be compatible.

Ony a chance? Phooey.