[WikiEN-l] Durova/!! matter now in newspaper.

Andrew Gray shimgray at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 20:05:59 UTC 2007

> On 04/12/2007, Bryan Derksen <bryan.derksen at shaw.ca> wrote:
>
> > A suggestion I've been pondering is to expand [[Wikipedia:Mailing
> > lists]] to list _all_ mailing lists where Wikipedia is the topic,
> > annotated and subsectioned to keep the "unofficial" stuff properly
> > segregated of course. The mailing lists don't have to be public or open,
> > IMO merely listing their existence and subject matter would be very
> > useful for keeping paranoia levels down.
>
> This strikes me as hard to enforce.

On the other hand, allowing people to do it wouldn't be an impossible
step. You won't force anyone to do anything, and anyone who does want
to Keep Stuff Secret will always just go ahead and do so, but if
people want to deal with a touchy subject and be open about the fact
that they *are* discussing it even if the details are private, having
a section of a page where they can do so seems fair.

(Also, practically, there have in the past been ad-hoc mailing lists
for specific subgroups or wikiprojects or whatever; these tend not to
be Wikimedia-run, but are worth noting publicly and centrally
regardless. Was there ever actually a Schoolwatch mailing list, for
example?)

--
- Andrew Gray
  andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk