[WikiEN-l] Ten things is a good idea - sort of

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 08:10:33 UTC 2007

On 31/08/2007, stevertigo <stvrtg at gmail.com> wrote:

> I like the fact that people (by one means or another) agreed on using
> the banner space for something other than the fund drive (there is
> already a permanent link in the interaction sidebox, no?).  Then
> things is an interesting usage for that valuable bulletin space.
> But I don't think its the best usage. A better usage would be for
> mobjobs; fix-it tasks which would effectively serve double duty as
> reminders (or first time notices) of some basic process and policy,
> focusing on particular problems or aspects. These can be minor items
> that need lots of eyeballs to correct on a large scale. My favorite
> peeves are:
> * the misuse of external links in the body of articles,
> * improper hatnotes (WP:HAT - hey, my protologism is official terminology! ;)
> * self refs in-body/outside-of-parenthesis. 'For more information,' etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Template:Wikipedia_ads

Mind you, there was strong opposition to it when it showed up, at the
notion that they would be generally deployed - rather than confined to
people's user pages, placed there as the user chose. People seem to
have an aversion to public service announcements in ad form, as well
as advertising itself.

- d.