[WikiEN-l] Jayjg is not AWOL

Marc Riddell michaeldavid86 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 29 12:08:30 UTC 2007

on 8/28/07 11:56 PM, Jimmy Wales at jwales at wikia.com wrote:

> John Lee wrote:
>> Might not be fair, but it reflects the perception of how we deal with
>> whistle-blowers. Arguably we haven't had a serious case of something rotten
>> in the state of Wikipedia being exposed, but is there any assurance that how
>> we deal with false whistle-blowers will not be the same way we deal with
>> real ones?
>
> I don't think we really have "whistle-blowers" because we are vibrant
> open community which is constantly engaged in honest self-assessment and
> internal dialog, in an atmosphere where respectful dissent and diversity
> of viewpoints is not just tolerated but actively encouraged.
>
> And yes, this is never perfect, but I think we do a pretty good job of it.

Jimmy,

Much of what you say here is, unfortunately, purely theoretical. There is a
strong (if misguided) blind loyalty factor which causes many to take any
dissent or criticism of the Project personally; and their reactions reflect
this. Critics are seen as enemies at the gate; even when they are behind
that gate.

Marc Riddell

--
"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it
takes to sit down and listen."

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state
of things."

                                                    Winston Churchill