[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 04:10:37 UTC 2007

[snip]
> I think the more useful question is not what percentage of the images
> are non-free, but "what percentage of the articles contain no non-free
> images?".

English Wikipedia has 1,993,145 non-redirect pages. Of those 1,453,071
are not disambigs and are over 1000 bytes long. Of those, 292,871 have
one or more non-free images.

So 20% have non-free images.

Considering that a lot of pages don't have images at all.. (this isn't
so easy to count since little template inserted images still count as
images, but I don't think we ought to be counting them while trying to
figure out how many articles are illustrated).