[WikiEN-l] Fair use issues; we need serious help

Stan Shebs stanshebs at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 23 14:30:04 UTC 2007

Todd Allen wrote:
> But what if we do? We don't need an image to illustrate every anime
> character that has an article, or to show the cover of every album, or a
> screenshot of every video game. We can have pop culture articles without
> nonfree images. No nonfree images is an option. So even 2 million pop
> culture articles wouldn't necessitate one single free image. The German
> Wikipedia seems to do just fine with that, I think we would too.

I've always wondered how many Germans "sneak over" via interwiki links
to look at the forbidden pictures on en: . Certainly the urge to include
images of copyrighted things is plenty strong at de: , they're always
using pictures of building signs, Halloween costumes, and other
semi-plausible subterfuges to get copyrighted imagery into their articles.

Stan