[WikiEN-l] Our content gets *everywhere*

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon Aug 20 04:39:08 UTC 2007

Anthony wrote:
> There are a multitude of opinions among Wikipedians on copyright law,
> litigiousness, ownership, etc.  There's also a multitude of levels of
> knowledge among Wikipedians on the applicable laws.

Also extreme variation in terms of personal risk tolerance and aversion,
also in understanding the way that the legal system works.
> Personally I'm pretty much of the opinion that copyright law is evil
> and should be repealed.  I've had conversations with other Wikipedians
> who fall nearly on the opposite end of that spectrum.  And the vast
> majority fall somewhere in between.  And yet, I think it's possible
> for us all to get along, so long as we can agree that Wikipedia is
> going to A) be a free work; and B) work within the law.
Even if we agree to that,  interpreting "B" depends on our knowledge of
the law.  Those of us supporting a more aggressive legal position are
not advocating breaking the law.

Ec