[WikiEN-l] You Really Don't Get It

Todd Allen toddmallen at gmail.com
Wed Apr 25 05:17:45 UTC 2007

On 4/24/07, Stan Shebs <stanshebs at earthlink.net> wrote:
> Marc Riddell wrote:
> > on 4/24/07 9:09 PM, Stan Shebs at stanshebs at earthlink.net wrote:

> >> Or it could be as simple as every admin having an "admin buddy",
> >> somebody who maybe doesn't normally get involved with your same areas,
> >> but takes a look to see how you're doing every once in a while, and can
> >> speak up objectively if things are not going well. It wouldn't be much
> >> of a time imposition to look over one other person's contribution
> >> history once a week, plus if the areas of specialty are different,
> >> there's opportunity for broadening one's admin outlook. This would be a
> >> peer relationship, not any kind of mentoring - totally random pairing of
> >> admins would suffice even (and hopefully allay paranoia about cabals).
> >>
> >> Stan
> >>

> > C'mon guys. Both of you are repeating stuff that's been suggested again and
> > again. And, if history repeats (which is has before), these suggestions will
> > fade from memory, until sometime in the (near) future they will be repeated
> > along with, perhaps some new ones, and they will fadeŠŠŠŠ
> >
> Actually, I don't recall hearing or suggesting the admin buddy idea
> before. It has the advantages of being easy to organize, easy to
> maintain, fits into existing work habits, and encourages the development
> of more long-term relationships. Many admins already tag-team on
> stressful issues, it just tends to be ephemeral, and so an admin gets
> sufficient support one month and then the next month is unnoticed until
> the spectacular flameout.
>
> Stan

Then let's just do it! I'm willing to be a test case, if that's
needed, who else? Basically, random pairings where each partner keeps
an eye on the stress level of the other, gently brings possible
mistakes to their attention, and suggests stepping back from
situations that are about to cause a blowup would be a great first
step.

Seraphimblade

--
Freedom is the right to know that 2+2=4. From this all else follows.