[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Jossi Fresco jossifresco at mac.com
Sat Apr 21 23:22:07 UTC 2007

On Apr 21, 2007, at 8:57 AM, Andries Krugers Dagneaux wrote:

> I do not consider arbcom decisions that diverge much from existing
> policies as legitimate. The [[Wikipedia:No Personal Attack]] policy
> states that off-Wikipedia behavior is a side-issue. If you do not
> agree
> with that policy then please try to change it. Arbcom decision that
> diverge much form existing policies are unfair and erode the moral
> authority that the arbcom now has.

A side issue? Not exactly. The policy clearly says:

"Wikipedia acknowledges that it cannot regulate behavior in media not
under the control of the Wikimedia Foundation, but personal attacks
elsewhere may create doubt as to whether an editor's on-wiki actions
are being conducted in good faith. Posting personal attacks or
defamation off-Wikipedia is harmful to the entire community, and to
an editor's relationship with it.  While an editor may not be
directly penalized for off-wiki attacks, such attacks may be taken as
aggravating factors when any on-wiki policy violations are being
considered. For example, they can be used as evidence in the dispute-
resolution process, including in Arbitration cases."

Attack fellow editors off-wiki, and AGF goes out of the window, and
these actions will be taken as aggravating factors in ArbCom
decisions. That is not a "side issue" IMO.

-- Jossi