[WikiEN-l] Brandt unblocked by Jimbo - community support?

Jimmy Wales jwales at wikia.com
Sat Apr 21 10:04:21 UTC 2007

Andries Krugers Dagneaux wrote:
> Slim Virgin wrote:
>> The problem is that he *is* engaging in behavior that would normally
>> get someone blocked. He's posting libel off-wiki [...]
>
> [[Wikipedia:No Personal attacks]] states that off-Wikipedia personal
> attacks are a side issue and do not fall under the jurisdiction of
> Wikipedia. Whatever is decided, I request that policies are in sync with
> each other.

Hmm, I am offline at the moment, but it has always been my position and
the position of the ArbCom (mostly, not everyone has always agreed about
the details of course) that (a) we should not seek to police what
Wikipedians are doing on other websites generally, and (b) off-Wikipedia
behavior (such as harassment, "outing", etc.) is relevant to the
Wikipedia banning process.

We trust the ArbCom to act thoughtfully, and we have some checks and
balances in place.

--Jimbo