[WikiEN-l] Ryulong blocked ALL accounts

Brock Weller brock.weller at gmail.com
Fri Apr 20 01:32:34 UTC 2007

Cascadia: Written policy isn't the only policy on wiki. Jimbo enjoys whats
gently poked at as God-Kingship because he owns the site, its his, we do
what he says when he pulls that card in his subtle way. Not because its
really codified, but as convention. Many countries, including the UK, have
constitutional rights that aren't in the constitution, they evolved as
convention over hundreds of years. This is one of the reasons we have the
WP:BITE policy, new users dont know all the unwritten rules yet.

On 4/19/07, Cascadia <cascadia at privatenoc.com> wrote:

> "Tony Sidaway" <tonysidaway at gmail.com> wrote
> in message
> news:bf0d8ee70704191733x4afcdbc4y4d8235e04d2d6e6b at mail.gmail.com...
> > There has been no substantive disruption as yet, but there has been a
> > series of rather inflammatory statements.  One brave soul with the
> > username of "Throwaway account 111" described Jimbo's action as "an
> > affront to the community."  Disposibleusername said the same action
> > felt like "a slap in the face".  A third user (or it could be the
> > third instance of the same person) called "Iamnotmyself" made all
> > kinds of predictions of any serious attempt to oppose the unblock,
> > stating "Take a stand if you want, but it won't change anything; it's
> > Jimbo's way or the highway."   A fellow called "Onlyjustthisonetime"
> > called Jimbo's action "an affront to every member of this community"
> >
> > Amid all the fuss and the trolling, however, some valid points were
> > made, and I wouldn't want to give the impression that it was all just
> > rabble-rousing.
> >
> Tony, again... you keep calling discussion, although a bit heated,
> "trolling".
> //
> > The point I was making was that written policy is not Wikipedia policy.
>
> That's an intersting statement. Considering one of the first things at
> WP:SOCK is:
>
> "This page documents an official policy on the English Wikipedia. It has
> wide acceptance among editors and is considered a standard that all users
> should follow. When editing this page, please ensure that your revision
> reflects consensus. When in doubt, discuss first on the talk page."
>
> I appologize if I sound obtuse or overly confused... but when does
> "official
> Policy on the English Wikipedia" not be Wikipedia policy??
>
> -Cascadia

-Brock