[WikiEN-l] Philosophical question re sources

Steve Bennett stevage at gmail.com
Sat Mar 25 13:34:25 UTC 2006

On 3/25/06, Ilmari Karonen <nospam at vyznev.net> wrote:
> ...so if I claim that there are gigantic hyperintelligent aliens made of
> lime jello living on a giant pumpkin orbiting Alpha Centauri and that
> they have five hands and one foot, and no-one makes a verifiable
> rebuttal, then my claim, being the only published view on the subject,
> represents the Neutral Point of View about hyperintelligent aliens made
> of lime jello?

I think our solution to that problem is noting the lack of sources
supporting the theory. Like in the case with Safe Speed - there are no
reputable sources which back up the theories, therefore we say so. We
have to publish the claims because the group is notable, but we're
also obliged to give the reader a sense of their acceptance in the
scientific community.

Steve